speaking on the subject:
‘Awarding Extensions of Time’
A Practical Guide to the Law & Practice
Architects and Surveyors are required by standard forms of contract to determine a contractor’s entitlement to extensions of time, a task for which virtually no training is provided. This seminar will consider:-
· What the JCT forms of contract actually say on Extensions of Time
· Requirements under NEC forms
· Case Law regarding Extensions of Time
· Does the Contractor have to apply for an extension?
· Is there a contractual duty on the contractor to prepare a programme and to update it?
· Record keeping and note taking – the need for a CA to note progress.
· Recording causes of delay and checking contractors’ progress reports
· How to ascertainment the effect of relevant events
· How an Adjudicator might approach an extension of time dispute
Bart is a Chartered Architect with more than 35 years’ experience in the construction industry in the UK and internationally. He is also a Barrister (non-practicing). As an expert witness Bart has been appointed as a named expert, involving claims valued at between £50,000 and £500M. He has been cross examined on his expert evidence, and participated in witness conferencing, at an ICC Arbitration involving a claim valued at approximately £500M.
Before joining Probyn Miers, Bart held senior positions at several prominent UK and US architectural firms, and was a design manager for a major UK construction and civil engineering contractor.